Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) consists of 5 branches, acupuncture, herbs, massage, meditation and nutrition. We make recommendations for individuals based on constitutional patterns and conditions. In general, immune tonic foods are recommended for most patients during the autumn, like Autumn Soup.
4 cups mushroom, vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 small yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 1/2 cup julienned fresh kale
1 cup peeled, cubed butternut squash
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
6 slices astragalus root (optional)
1 fresh lemon, juice of
1 teaspoon miso
1. In a sauce pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and garlic in oil 3 minutes.
2. Add turmeric and mushrooms. Sauté 2 minutes.
3. Add broth, kale, squash, ginger, cayenne and astragalus. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
5. Add lemon juice and miso (adding miso when still very hot will diminish its probiotic benefits).
6. Cover and let sit 5 minutes before serving.